General Dentistry Services for the Entire Family
Our team provides a full range of general dentistry services for the whole family at our Huntington office. We strive to provide kind, respectful care from the moment you walk in our doors. The first step of your personalized care involves a comprehensive risk assessment administered by Dr. Robert J. Matlach and Dr. Margaret Ames.These assessments allow him to make prioritized treatment recommendations that help patients achieve optimal oral health and beautiful smiles. To learn more about our services and schedule an appointment, contact our office today.
Comprehensive Risk Assessment
Each risk assessment helps Dr. Matlach identify patients' needs by assigning a risk level (low, medium or high) to five categories:
- Gum and Bone Health - Periodontal health is the foundation of dental health, and Dr. Matlach and Dr. Ames will evaluate your gums, jawbone, and other oral tissues using digital x-rays.
- Teeth Structure - Dr. Matlach and Dr. Ames will examine the structural integrity of each tooth and determine if there are any compromises to the teeth such as decay, cracks, or fractures.
- Teeth Functionality - Properly functioning teeth should allow patients to speak, eat, and perform all daily oral functions free of complications or pain.
- Aesthetics of the Smile - Cosmetic imperfections can negatively affect patients' self-confidence, and sometimes indicate health problems.
- Overall Health - Overall health and oral health have a profound effect on each other. Bacteria and diseases of the mouth can create problems elsewhere in the body, while poor overall health can affect gums and teeth.
If you return a medium or high risk rating, Dr. Matlach and Dr. Ames will discuss the urgency of your risk with you. In addition to helping Dr. Matlach and Dr. Ames determine treatment recommendations, the risk-based assessment offers an opportunity for patients to learn about the state of their oral health.
In spite of dedicated brushing and flossing, plaque can accumulate in hard-to-reach areas, including below the gum line. We provide deep cleanings to eliminate all plaque, setting the stage for excellent oral health.
Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder can be caused by an imbalanced bite that places excessive strain on the joints that hold the jaw in place. Symptoms include headaches, teeth grinding, tooth sensitivity, and back and shoulder pain. Dr. Matlach and Dr. Ames can provide custom splints that help you to achieve a balanced bite and relive the symptoms of TMJ.
The jaw naturally rests in a certain alignment, and in some patients, it is offset because the teeth fit together improperly. Using occlusal equilibration, Dr. Matlach and Dr. Ames evaluate the jaw and assess where it should naturally rest. If the shape of the teeth prevents proper alignment, he may reshape them to achieve balance.
Preventive care is the best way to maintain oral health. Preventive care may include:
- CariFree® - This line of hygienic products includes toothpaste and mouthwash to help prevent decay and cavities.
- Digital X-rays - Digital x-rays give Dr. Matlach and Dr. Ames a better understanding of the health of the jaw and teeth, while offering numerous patient benefits over traditional x-rays.
- Oral Cancer Screening - Dr. Matlach and Dr. Ames perform a visual oral cancer screening during each routine appointment. If a patient has a suspicious lesion, we can refer them to a specialist for further examination.
- DIAGNOdent® - Our DIAGNOdent® system allows Dr. Matlach and Dr. Ames to detect even the smallest cavities.