Most people know that flossing is an important part of oral health. As we like to remind our patients at Robert Matlach Dental in Huntington NY, its value has been proven time and time again.
Flossing is your chance to remove the food debris that a toothbrush can’t reach.
Which Kind Is Best?
When it comes to what dental floss to use, there is a lot to choose from. Flavored or unflavored? Waxed or unwaxed? Wide or thin?
No single type of floss is right for everyone. You might even benefit from having more than one kind in your medicine chest. With a little trial and error, you can narrow down your choices to find what works best for you.
A study showed there really isn’t much difference in the effectiveness of the different types of dental floss. Here are some things to consider:
- Waxed floss fits more easily into tight spaces
- Unwaxed floss tends to squeak against clean teeth, an indicator that plaque is gone
- Wider dental tape may work better in gaps between teeth, and on bridgework
- One word of caution; we recommend traditional string floss that you can pull out in a long strand, as opposed to a flossing pick. Those little picks are handy, but not as effective as string floss. They’re okay when you’re on the go, but be sure to use regular floss as part of your dental hygiene routine before bedtime.
- Whatever your preference may be, the important thing is to floss at least once each day.
At Robert Matlach Dental in Huntington NY, we like to see you for a checkup every six months. People from North Bay, East Smithtown, and South Melville come to us for general and restorative dentistry. Contact us today!
Contact Matlach Dental:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
158 E Main St Ste 5
Huntington, New York